Brisley Amenity Land
The plot of land that we now designate as Amenity Land was first leased to Brisley Parish Council by Norfolk County Council in the 1920’s as smallholdings/allotments for the use of our “returning heroes” from the First World War.
Over subsequent years its use as allotments declined until by the 2010 only two plots were being rented – and these were barely utilised by the occupiers. Consequently the Parish Council rented the rest of the land to a local farmer to cover the cost of the lease rent.
In the early 2010’s Norfolk CountyCouncil informed Brisley Parish Council that they had to use the land for its original purpose, as “Amenity Land” for the village or face a large rent increase.
The Parish Council therefore raised in excess of £50,000 to create:
a) a woodland of native British trees to celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee.
b) desirable allotment plots complete with rabbit netting protection, hedging, and running water.
c) a children’s play area with a fitness trail and football pitch.
The whole area is now a delight for residents and visitors to use, whether it is winter walks with the dog or summer picnics for the family (there are picnic tables available near the play area next to the wild flower bund).
There is already an abundance of wild life and as the woodland matures this will become even more diverse.
As a result of creating the woodland and our Higher-Level Stewardship of parts of the Common the Parish Council has recently been presented with a Highly Commended Bio-diversity Award by Norfolk County Council.